Why we do it

WHY WE DO IT

Problem & Impact

Plastic pollution is a systemic problem and we have to act on it on different front. Here’s the problem we try to resolve: 

Garbage truck unloading waste on landfill, environmental concept
Aerial view of large landfill. Waste garbage dump, environmental pollution
bulldozer working

PLASTIC IN OUR ENVIRONMENT

Once discharged into streams or ocean, the plastic sinks to the seabed or floats on the water surface. Of the floating plastic, study estimates that 97% of it is redirected to shorelines and beaches and the remaining 3% constitutes the plastic gyres in the ocean that are often referred to as garbage patches.

PLASTIC MANAGEMENT

Due to our over-consumption of plastic as well as the lack of infrastructure to manage it at the end of its life, a huge amount of plastic ends up in our environment. It’s the equivalent of a truckload of garbage being dumped into the ocean every minute

We are getting tired of trying really hard to prove that this is not a disease that needs to be cured. We do what we can to make their lives normal.

Carol Stephens

microplastics-contaminate-area-beach-world-environment-problem-500px-281px
Discarded plastic pet bottle lying seaweed on the shoreline. Environmental plastic pollution.
View of the beautiful Xigia beach. beach on the island of Zakynthos. Greece

BEACHES MARINE DEBRIS​

As a result, the most beautiful beaches around the world are covered in plastic. By being in contact with the sun’s rays the plastic becomes more fragile and the effect of waves or erosion fractures it into smaller plastic particles called microplastic.

MICROPLASTIC POLLUTION​

Microplastic are tiny pieces of plastic smaller than 5mm. They come from several sources such as:

Hands of young factory worker holding pile of unprocessed white plastic pellets
bird tangled

IMPACT ON ECOSYSTEM

Biota are affected by these small particles as they are small enough to be ingested by animals. According to the United Nation, plastic waste kills up to 1 million sea birds, 100,000 sea mammals, marine turtles and countless fish each year.

IMPACT ON HUMAN HEALTH​

This plastic goes all the way up the food chain to us and whether it’s by what we eat, drink or breathe a study estimates that humans ingest on average the equivalent of one plastic credit card per week. The chemical composition of these plastics (Bisphenol A, Phtalate) and the absorption of other chemicals in the environment makes the plastic act as a medium that carries many toxic agents into the environment to get to us. These chemicals are known as endocrine disrupters that can affect reproduction, development and many other hormone related functions.

Small water bottle on the ocean stone in natural background
Beautiful blue bay surrounded by mountains in Assos village located on Kefalonia. Summer tourism

COASTAL ECONOMIC IMPACT​

The impact of plastic on beaches is significant for the economy of coastal communities. The economic impact are multiple and manifest in different forms like recreational value to beach visitors, tourism spending on beach visits, commercial fisheries and real estate value. NOAA conducted a study on Tourism-Dependent Communities to quantify this impact and the results are eye-opening.

A GROWING ISSUE​

Unfortunately, without a change in the way we consume, this production is expected to quintuple by 2050, which would have a disastrous impact on the ecosystem and the tourism economy of the communities affected by this problem.

Volunteers cleaning beach area from plastic

HOW HOOLA ONE TACKLE THIS ISSUE?